1991 Mazda Miata, red, hard top, 1 owner car. Let’s see how this turns out.
Order new wheels and tires on a Monday. They arrived Tuesday at 1 p.m. Go TireRack!
They look ok.
I decided this car is going to be a “Street Fighter” so in that philosophy, it’s time to start removing weight and adding power.
First step was the RX-7 AFM. Installed with a K&N cone filter, I definitely felt power pickup over 6,000 rpm – where the car used to fall flat on its face, now it rips all the way to 7,200 and revs freely throughout the rpm range. I did have to open the AFM up and play with the clockwork inside to add some fuel under WOT, because the O2 sensor determines the AFR under part throttle closed loop, but under full throttle, it’s open loop determined by the box in the AFM. This was a pain in the ass and took a lot of trial and error. I wound up moving it 6-clicks rich. The internet says this is good for 5 whp over 6,000 rpm.
Next, I decided to remove the soft top, since I’ve never used it, ever.
I wound up taking out the passenger seat, carpeting, soft top, and junk in the trunk. I estimate I took out about 100 lbs from the car, and added 40 back in with the hard top. I have driven it around with the hard top off – I’ve been hard pressed to have as much fun for as little money.
It’s a Miata Party.